Friday, March 28, 2008

Hungry?


A few months ago I was working at my old job and I realized that I was not earning enough money to eat. I was literally earning about a dollar and six cents an hour. So I had the bright idea of applying for food stamps. Just so you know, the gov doesn't really use paper stamps, they have modernized and now hand out chase debit cards! My friends all laughed at me but I thought, "I'm a tax payer in dire need of government assistance". So I rode my bike down to the local Foodstamp building in the bad part of town. When I arrived I noticed something very strange. The waiting room was full of baggy pants and over sized tshirts.. understandably. The shock was the number of fancy electronic gadgets that these people were fiddling with. It seemed that every teenage mother had an Iphone, an Ipod, a sidekick and a Blackberry. I don't even own an Ipod! How was it that these people could afford all these gadgets and were here waiting in line for government aid to purchase fruit loops and topramon? I was down to $1.07 in my bank account, I worked full time, ate in, didn't splurge on electronics and could barely afford my phone bill. I suddenly felt very poor and somewhat white trashish. I mean I was the only person there of "non-color". It was weird and I felt very intimidated. The wait was of course very long, it was a government building after all. And after 6 hours and not one number closer to my spot at the window I gave up. I figured that with out a crack addicted baby to use as collateral the chances of me qualifying for food stamps were pretty slim. So I got up and rode my bike to McDonalds and bought one dollar menu cheese burger with the $1.07 I had in my bank account. Maybe next time. When I'm really hungry again.

No comments: